Friday, April 16, 2010

It's Over

After 10 years, we have finally divested ourselves of our Sam's Club membership and joined the Costco Revolution. We signed up for Sam's while at BYU and have carried our membership from Utah to North Carolina and back to Colorado. I guess we were about ready for a change. Elizabeth has been talking it up for a few months after making several visits with Natalie. I'm not sure if it was the prices or selection or the fact that they sell Izze sodas by the case that convinced her. Our Sam's membership didn't expire until the end of March, so we didn't pull the trigger until today.

We'll see how it goes, I guess. The two clubs are pretty similar. Costco is more red, Sam's Club is blue. Mainly we just want to put less of our money into Wal-Mart's pocket. Surely we won't topple the Walton Empire by taking away the $1,000 a year we probably spent there, but it feels kinda good to stick it to them however we can.

Besides, as Sam's Club began proclaiming several years ago, "We're in business for small business."

That statement always sounded to me like, "We're not in business for you. But I guess we'll let you in."

Of course, Costco was a zoo at 1:00 in the afternoon. If it's always like that, I don't know if I will enjoy it quite as much.

No comments: