Monday, January 27, 2014

Memories of Super Bowl XXI

The first time I experienced the Broncos in the Super Bowl was January 1987, when they earned a spot opposite the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXI in Pasadena, California.

I was eleven years old and in the fifth grade, a relatively new football fan. I had only watched two Super Bowls up to that point, so to have my favorite team playing in the big game was a pretty big deal. I remember that I did a rendering of the rose-themed Super Bowl logo (the game was played at the Rose Bowl) and a teacher came over and sneered at my work.

I don't know that we really had Super Bowl parties back then. I remember pretty much just watching the game by myself. I even taped it to watch again later. I remember my parents leaving sometime in the second quarter to go over to the school for some reason or another. Why they thought my mom's job was more important than the game I am not sure.

The first half, of course, was pretty close. The Broncos even led 10-9 at halftime, and should have perhaps led by more. Shouldacouldawoulda.

The wheels came off in the third quarter, however, as the Giants piled on touchdown after touchdown and the Broncos were unable to stop them. The final score was 39-20. I don't really remember how I felt. I'm sure that I was disappointed by the loss. But it was still pretty awesome that they had made it that far. The magic of their AFC Championship win over Cleveland and "The Drive" had kind of put a spell over everyone where it was okay that we had just been hammered in front of a worldwide audience.

Because with a young John Elway at quarterback, the Broncos would certainly be back again.


No comments: