Friday, April 3, 2020

Domestic Travel Bucket List

I'm not very well traveled. I've never been outside the continental U.S. I didn't cross the Mississippi until I was 23 years old. I've never been further northeast than Charleston, WV. In my defense, I've lived in five states, been to both oceans, and been physically present within the boundaries of 28 of them. A couple of years ago I received a stipend for a work anniversary and so I had to go through a bunch of ideas and pick something. I wound up choosing Chicago, which turned out to be an excellent choice. But what about all the runners-up? Will I ever get to do those trips?

Anyways, here's my list of U.S. destinations:

Upstate New York. I actually sketched out an itinerary so basically the trip is already planned. Lots of church history sites so of course places like Palmyra and the Sacred Grove would be a priority, along with the Baseball Hall of Fame. Niagara Falls could be part of it. And the Finger Lakes! My wife was born in Binghamton. And Oneida seems like an interesting place. It would just be a lot of driving and spectacular scenery, is how I imagine it.

Nauvoo. I've actually been here once before. But it was more of a "passing through" thing when we were moving to North Carolina 18 years ago. We only stayed for a few hours - it was July, it was sweltering, and we had a two-year-old. So not the funnest time we've ever had. I'd like a chance to do it right someday - experience everything - Carthage Jail, the Temple, life on the Mississip, etc. 

New York City. Also was on my short list for my stipend, but kind of chickened out. Chicago seemed less threatening and more affordable. But you can't go through life without having experienced The Big Apple. . . right? I'd want to go in the late summer so I could attend the U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows. I'm not a huge tennis fan or anything, but for some reason it calls out to me.

Olympic Peninsula. When I was a missionary I did get to take a day trip up through Port Angeles to Neah Bay, so technically I've been there already. It was amazing, but also it was January and I was wearing a shirt and tie. I didn't really get a full experience. I also did a lot of research on this area when I was making my trip selection. My dear wife (who served in the same mission) sort of pooh-poohed it, however.

Palm Beach County. Speaking of my wife pooh-poohing things, I've always wanted to visit some place where she grew up. We've been together for 22 years and I've never visited a single place from her childhood. Not one. She lived here from about sixth grade until she went to college, but her family moved and she's never been back. She insists there's nothing to see and nothing is the same. What is she hiding? I must find out.

San Francisco. Early fall is the best, I've read. I'd want to go see the giant trees and for some reason visually the Oakland Temple has always been one of my favorites. But I guess neither of those has anything specifically to do with San Francisco. Steep streets, history, and a golden bridge though.

Alaska. I've never been that interested in a Carribean cruise - they seem gross. But the Alaskan version intrigues me. They were doing an ad campaign several weeks ago and I was ready to go. Except for the paying for it part. I believe it's considerably more expensive than most cruises. 

Ozarks. It looks amazing plus I have some family history interest in the region, so you could always justify a fun trip in the name of genealogical research! I'm not sure about Branson, though. What is that about?

Mt. Rushmore. We're getting down to the more doable portion of the list. It's only six hours from our house. I've always wanted to go. We really should be able to check this one off.

Grand Canyon. My wife really wants to go and take the kids. Also, something that should fit in the budget a little more easily. We could also hit Mesa Verde and Four Corners on the way.

So there you have it, my top 10 list, in no particular order. I could definitely come up with a few more to fill it out should we ever start crossing some of these off. Of course, maybe we will never go anywhere again due COVID-19 and we will all eventually die in our houses.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

It's a good list! New York is fun but overwhelming. It will make you glad you don't live there. I went to San Francisco last year for our annual meeting for work. Obviously I didn't see much, but it was definitely an intriguing place. I'd love to go back for an actual vacation.

Chris's family was planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore for like 2021 or 2022, but then some of the siblings poo-pooed it, so now I don't know if it will happen.

Grand Canyon is cool, but very crowded. And don't go in the April because it's really windy.