Thursday, July 23, 2020

Most Influential Albums: Day Four

While Slippery When Wet was their breakthrough, I was probably a little young for Bon Jovi when it was released. I first listened to New Jersey around 1991 when I signed up for Columbia House and trying new things was inconsequential because after all, it was only a penny! The sound of New Jersey resonated with me right away and was my introduction to "hair metal" although it was the early 90s and rock was moving into its grunge/alternative phase. It wasn't oversexed, it wasn't angry, it was almost positive. In the VH1 series I Love the 80s, Dee Snider commented about Jon Bon Jovi's penchant for smiling in his music videos, which was not really a characteristic of serious rockers.

Bon Jovi moved towards a more serious sound in 1992 with the release of Keep the Faith, and they moved back into the mainstream in 1994 with Cross Road. I didn't necessarily keep up on all their releases afterwards, but I finally saw them in concert five years ago. I still own New Jersey on both cassette and CD. I admit that a couple of the tracks on Slippery When Wet are better than anything you find on New Jersey, but New Jersey is a much better overall album. It's not just me - thirty years later, it still holds the record for most top 10 singles off of a hard rock album.


No comments: