Thursday, August 14, 2008

Deceived!

Okay, so a couple of nights ago I wrote about how exciting it was to watch the Olympics live and that it made up for staying up too late.

Well, tonight I figured out that I was deceived by NBC.

Bob Costas was setting up the events for the evening and mentioned that Michael Phelps would be swimming at 10:45 Eastern time. I looked at my clock and discovered it was currently 8:50 - which would be 10:50 Eastern Time. Hmmm. . .

I also saw on espn.com a link - Soni wins 200 breasts. I can only assume that was a typo. . . right? But that's beside the point. Probably a half hour after I saw that news we watched on TV as Rebecca Soni of the US prepared to race in the 200 meter breaststroke final - which of course, she won.

It clearly says "LIVE" in the top right-hand corner of my television. And yet it hasn't been. I should have known better. This all goes back to the way the networks schedule in prime time - there's only an hour difference between Eastern and Mountain TV schedules. For example, if Survivor is broadcast at 8 PM Eastern, it is simultaneously broadcast in the Central Time Zone (only it is 7 PM there). In order for Survivor to be on at 7 PM Mountain, it has to run an hour later than Eastern/Central.

For some reason I thought it would be different for the Olympics. I was wrong. I guess that's fine but I feel kind of ripped off.

No comments: