Sunday, October 5, 2008

Escape


Yes, I do read books, contrary to what my prior post may have led you to believe. Elizabeth borrowed this from her friend Jess. She read it and said, "You have to read this!" And so I did. And now I'm saying, "Read this book. Right now. Go buy it, or check it out, or borrow it, or whatever."

The book details the author's life growing up a Fundamentalist Latter-day Saint and later entering into a polygamous marriage and how she eventually found freedom. I don't think that was a spoiler - it says ESCAPE right on the cover.

The book was an eye-opener. Going in, I knew that the FLDS were a little wacky, but I don't think I comprehended how seriously evil some of the powerful people are. Every kind of abuse was described - physical, sexual, emotional, spiritual - all done in the name of celestial marriage. But really, it's all about control - plural marriage is just the tool they use to that end.

Some of the stories are mind-blowing and I wondered a time or two if maybe she was like that broken glass dude who got in trouble with Oprah a couple of years ago for embellishing his memoir. But it can't possibly be fiction - because who would have made this up?

I couldn't believe that something like this could have happened in the United States of America. Carolyn Jessop is awesome.

1 comment:

jess said...

I love that you read this book, and found it interesting!