Saturday, November 15, 2008

Time Travel: If It Were Possible. . .


You have to turn up the volume on your computer to hear the music and get in the proper mood to read this.

Where would you go? Or rather, when would you go?

The rules are the same as in Back to the Future and The Time Machine. That is, you can only change time, not location. No going to 15th century Spain or Jerusalem 1 B.C.

My choice is made. If I could go back in time at any point in the history of Aurora, Colorado or whatever was here before, I would choose 1977.

Strange, I know.

The main reason I started thinking about this has to do with our current house and the townhome where we previously lived. Today, in 2008, they've both seen better days. Both were built circa 1975 - I would love to see both neighborhoods when they were new and swanky. We learned when buying our current house that the neighborhood has covenants! Needless to say, they are not enforced any longer. And our old townhome community has a guard gate, tennis courts, swimming pools, that certainly looked much better in 1977 than they do today.

Also, 1977 is the year the Denver Broncos made their first run to the Super Bowl. It would have been great to experience that firsthand. See my archived review of Terry Frei's book '77 on this blog for details.

Star Wars was released in 1977. That would have been awesome to see it brand new in the theater. I love the subtle 70's influence on Star Wars fashion, by the way.

Also, I would like to go back in my current profession of public accounting. I'd trade in my laptop and start rockin' the ten-key. I'd do depreciation by hand on 14-column ledger paper. I'd foot a ream's worth of accounts payable detail printed on green bar. It would be awesome!

The 70's just seem like they would have been a fun time. Technically, I was born in the 70's, but I was not yet self-aware.

And yes, I would do the fashions as seen above.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

You could probably even go see Star Wars at the famous Continental Theater! Or maybe the Cinderella Twin Drive-in. That would have been cool. I agree though, the seventies have always sounded kind of fun. I mean, just look at "That 70's Show"...