Saturday, December 20, 2008

I Joined Facebook

A couple of weeks ago, on Saturday night, everyone in my family inexplicably fell asleep about 9:00 PM, including newborn baby and Grandma. The older kids basically put themselves to bed without even being told. It was really, really weird. And so I was left sitting around wondering what to do with myself. And so I wound up signing up for Facebook, something I had resisted the urge to do for a long time. Actually, I never really had the urge. Once, I signed up for Linked In, which I guess is more of a professional networking thing, but I never really got into it. I think I have two links and couldn't really get excited about the whole concept. So I guess that's why I never looked into the Facebook thing. I'd never even heard of Facebook until I went to graduate school - I'm not sure how long it's been around.

So far, I don't really know what you're supposed to do on Facebook. Post stuff, I guess, although it's not exactly the same as a blog. I guess the thrill is finding people you haven't seen in years and adding them to your list. But then they add up so rapidly, it's not like you're taking the time to reconnect with every single one. I guess I'll learn.

I'm up to 43 friends and I haven't even been that agressive. They multiply pretty quickly. The breakdown is pretty interesting:

Centauri class of '94 - 13 friends
Washington Tacoma mission - 8 friends
Family - 6 friends
Old North Carolina ward - 6 friends
Current ward - 5 friends
Other high school/home - 3 friends
NC State - 2 friends
BYU - 0 friends

No comments: