Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Things That Bug Lately

1. That everyone is disappointed about the USA losing to Ghana and thus not making it to the quarterfinals or the semifinals of the World Cup, and that everyone has to now try and figure out why the USA is not the world's best at soccer. Guess what? They did fine. Did you really think they were going to make it all the way to the end? Let the other nations of the world have some fun.

2. That I've heard several journalist types refer to soccer as a "beautiful game." I'm not exactly sure why it bugs me. I guess things about the game could be beautiful, such as "that was a beautiful kick" or "what a beautiful stadium" - but really - is any game beautiful? They can be fun or hard or entertaining or competitive or challenging - but beautiful? I don't know about that.

3. I want to start making a list of words that bug me. Only I can't possibly think of them all right now. One is the word "vet", when it is used in the context of "checking somebody or something out" - for example, Mr. So and So Political Candidate is going through the vetting process. I don't know, vet/vetted/vetting is just like nails on a chalkboard to me. Hate it. The only thing that should be vetted is your sick cat or your lame horse.

4. Some cutesie made up words and phrases also bug me. Being a CPA, I get lots of emails about continuing education opportunities. The word "webinar" - if it can be called a word - makes me want to punch whoever thought of it in the mouth. Also, the phrase "Lunch and Learn." Despise it. Don't you dare suggest that I use my lunch for learning. Because I'm using it to write this post instead.

2 comments:

Juankers said...

It bugs me when people or businesses use texting abbreviations as real words. As long as I'm on the subject the word "text" used as a verb bugs me too. I'm glad that while typing this response, the word texting was marked as a spelling/grammatical error.

Elizabeth said...

I agree with Juankers about the word "text" and I agree with you about all those things that bug you and most especially about the sudden explosion in popularity of the word "vet" among journalists. It reminds me of when the word "kudo" hit the big time a couple decades ago and man did that ever drive me crazy. There are so many GOOD words. Why are we stuck on the same so-so words?