Sunday, February 20, 2011

Here's a Thought

I'm ready for a resolution to this Carmelo Anthony thing - we're going on eight months now. Some pregnancies don't last that long.

I've stated before that it certainly is the right of Carmelo or LeBron to work wherever they want. This is America, after all. If Carmelo doesn't want to play in Denver anymore, there really isn't anything we can or should do to make him stay.

Of course, the problem is that Carmelo wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants the $65 million contract, but only two teams so far are willing and able to pay it - the Nuggets and the New Jersey Nets. The problem is that he doesn't want to play for either team.

So I guess that's where a lot of people, including myself, have an issue. Probably a lot of people would rather live somewhere than where they are currently living. But sometimes it's not possible because they need to live where they have the best job.

Also, I'm tired of Melo "playing dumb" about the whole thing. He always acts in the media as if he knows absolutely nothing about potential trades and is perfectly content in Denver. Which everyone knows his absolutely false. I wish he would just come out and say, "Look, I'm not coming back to Denver and I don't want to play for any team other than the Knicks. So stop wasting your time arranging the 83rd different trade with the Nets."

My solution for this whole soap opera is simple. Instead of trading Melo, let's just trade franchises with New Jersey. Some of the proposed trades have them exchanging half of their rosters anyways. So let's just trade everything. Players, coaches, trainers, mascots, equipment, and ownership groups. A straight-up swap. The Denver Nets. I could get used to that. The part I would most enjoy would be having the Russian billionaire and Jay-Z as owners. I need more of the carrier pigeon quotes.

New Jersey can have Kroenke & Son. They can have all of our Wal-Marts too. Old Stan would probably not even notice this one small transaction in his vast "Sports Empire". He's probably too busy negotiating to buy the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL or an Australian Rules Football team.

No comments: