Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Temple and Priesthood Preparation Meeting

I was recently tasked with planning the annual temple and priesthood preparation meeting for our ward. The internet wasn't terribly helpful for my situation. The church's official description didn't really answer my specific questions such as, "what exactly should the program look like" and the blogosphere was offering me mostly ideas on printables and coordinated decorations and refreshments. Which makes sense as this is a meeting typically planned by primary leaders. But I'm a young men leader. My situation was a little unique as we have five boys advancing to deacons quorum next year but no girls advancing to young women's. So it wound up a little more boy-oriented.  Here's an outline of my program which might be helpful if you ever find yourself in a pinch.

Conducting: Bishopric Member
Opening Song: I Am a Child of God
Opening Prayer: Deacons Quorum Member
Talk: Young Men's Leader on the priesthood. I gave the talk and used this video
Talk: Deacons Quorum Presidency Member on "The Duties of a Deacon"
Intermission: With some adult supervision, Deacons Quorum President takes deacons and 11-year-old boys to chapel and teaches about passing the sacrament. Parents and other leaders stay behind for questions on their children becoming part of the youth programs and activities.
Video (to bring the reverence back after sending a pack of boys out of the room)
Talk: Bishopric Member on entering the temple and receiving a temple recommend
Closing Song: I Love to See The Temple
Closing Prayer: Deacons Quorum Member
Refreshments (This is a church meeting after all)

It worked pretty well for something put together in less than 48 hours. You would probably need to adapt it somewhat if girls were invited to attend.

No comments: