Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Favorite SNL Characters

Someone asked me the other day for my 10 all-time favorite Saturday Night Live characters, and I thought it would make for an interesting post. I'm just an occassional watcher, so I'm sure I'm missing dozens of funny ones. So here they are, in no particular order:

Megan, the host of Wakeup Wakefield
Played by: Maya Rudolph
See her: the 2001 episode hosted by Reese Witherspoon and the 2002 episode hosted by John McCain.
The character: Teenage girl hosts morning show with pal Shelden (Rachel Dratch), seems mostly bored except when it comes to her longtime crush Randy Wayne Goldman (Jimmy Fallon)
Notable quote: “Gretchen, I have a question specifically pertaining to Spanish Club. When you and Randy Goldman kiss, does it taste like peach Jolly Ranchers?"

Harry Caray, the host of Space: The Infinite Frontier
Played by: Will Ferrell
See him: the 1997 episode hosted by Jeff Goldblum.
The character: Basically an impersonation of the famous Chicago Cubs broadcaster hosting an astronomy talk show. If there ever was a better performance by Will Ferrell on SNL, I haven’t seen it.
Noteable quote: “It's a simple question, doctor. Would you eat the moon if it were made of ribs?"

Debbie Downer
Played by: Rachel Dratch
See her: the 2004 episode hosted by Lindsay Lohan, 2004 episode hosted by Ben Affleck.
The character: While others are trying to experience the joys of life, Debbie can’t help but spit out discouraging thoughts. The funniest part is that Dratch can’t get through one of these sketches with a straight face.
Noteable quote: “I guess Roy isn't doing as well as they first thought... He was attacked by his own tiger and suffered devastating injuries."

Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker
Played by: Chris Farley
See him: the 1993 episode hosted by Christina Applegate
The character: Invited by parents to speak to their wayward teens, he’s negative and over the top in every way. Usually ends up breaking something before he’s kicked out of the house.
Noteable quote: “You're gonna be doing a lot of doobie-rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!"

Azrael Abyss, Co-host of Goth Talk
Played by: Chris Kattan
See him: 1997 episode hosted by Rob Lowe, 1997 episode hosted by Jeff Goldblum, 1998 episode hosted by Sarah Michelle Gellar.
The character: Real name is Todd Henderson – he hosts a Goth cable access show in his family’s basement with pal Circe Nightshade (Molly Shannon). His day job is working at Cinnabon, his older brother Glenn (Jim Breuer) is a frequent interloper. The guests are usually revealed to be poseurs.
Noteable quote: “If I had been born in the seventeenth century, I wouldn't have to Turtle Wax the van."

Professors Roger and Virginia Klarven
Played by: Will Ferrell and Rachel Dratch
See them: the 2001 episode hosted by Drew Barrymore and the 2002 episode hosted by Winona Ryder.
The characters: “The Lovers” torment weary traveler Dave (Jimmy Fallon) while he tries to relax in the ha-tub at the prestigious Wellsley Arms hotel. Some of the funniest stuff I’ve ever seen on SNL.
Noteable quote: “At this point in the soak, my lov-ah and I usually crave spiced meats."

Dominican Lou
Played by: Tracy Morgan
See him: 1997 episode hosted by John Goodman
The character: The building super at 1901 Burnside Avenue in the Bronx, he wanted to teach the IBM supercomputer Big Blue to play dominoes so that it could beat his rival Felix.
Noteable quote: There isn’t one that will do Dominican Lou justice – it’s mostly the performance.

Tim Calhoun
Played by: Will Forte
See him: 2002 episode hosted by John McCain
The character: a bizarre political candidate who has lived a much more exciting life than his appearance might suggest, he also has an interesting campaign strategy.
Noteable quote: “I have used a lot of some drugs, and some not at all. But a little bit of cocaine. I’m real sorry about the cocaine.”

Sean Connery
Played by: Darrell Hammond
See him: numerous episodes featuring the recurring “Celebrity Jeopardy” sketch
The character: portrayed as a loveable buffoon, Connery enjoys tormenting Alex Trebek at every turn.
Noteable quote: “I bet if you frisked me, you would have found it.”

(TIE) Bill Clinton (Darrell Hammond), Tim Russert (Darrell Hammond), Mary Katherine Gallagher (Molly Shannon), Ross Perot (Dana Carvey), Janet Reno (Will Ferrell)

Okay, so I admit no one actually asked me for my 10 favorite. But if I waited for someone to ask, I would have never been able to write this.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Ha ha! That's funny that you said someone asked you to do this, when they didn't. I'm glad you wrote it anyway.