Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rocky is Dead

Shock of shocks, The Rocky Mountain News published its final edition on Friday. No one saw that coming!

I'm a little bit glad for selfish reasons. As a subscriber to The Denver Post, I will no longer have the Rocky foisted upon me Saturday morning because that is what was dictated by the two papers' joint operating agreement. I can now get the Post every day, which is what I paid for.

A lot of people are upset by the demise of the Rocky. And that's fine, but I never really developed an attachment to it. Growing up, if I ever read a Denver paper, it was usually the Post. The Rocky was more of a novelty - sometimes it was fun to read one because of the wacky tabloid format.

Other people are gleeful that the Rocky is done and desperately want to see the Post die as well - because they are both worthless liberal rags. I don't completely understand that perspective - I guess because I almost never read the editorials. I don't "take the paper" so I can get informed about world and national news.

My #1 reason for "taking the paper" is the sports section. Another reason I prefer the Post is that its sports page is, in my opinion, far superior to the one found in the Rocky. Unless you're into big-city prep sports, which I'm kinda not. On Sunday, I'll generally read the sports first and then the business section. I'll probably look through the Denver & The West section as well. Sometimes there might be an interesting article in the front section - but generally that is filled with furniture and mattress ads anyways.

I guess my main point is that I'll still keep taking the paper despite the political views of whoever prints it. I like walking out to get the paper in the morning, even if I only have 5 or 10 minutes at breakfast to glance through it. I don't like reading news on the computer that much unless I'm bored at work (which I haven't been and won't be for another couple of months). So I hope they don't die off completely.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

So, I'm dying to know -- what do you think of the alleged Jay Cutler trade rumors??