Sunday, April 5, 2009

Not Applying Myself

I'm not good at applying for things. I'm really not. I don't know why - I'm usually pretty conscientious and thorough. But I've had some terrible luck over the years.

Almost eight years ago, I applied for the accounting program at BYU. It took them about three days to reject my application - not because I had poor grades - but because I had taken too many of the wrong kind of class. Totally blindsided me. I had no idea. So I didn't get my accounting degree from BYU.

A little over four years ago, I applied for a Masters of Accounting program at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. They lost my GMAT scores and didn't really seem to care one way or the other if they ever found them. They may have just "lost" them in the trash can for all I know. That worked out okay because I wound up at North Carolina State which is a much better school anyways.

My current problem is getting a CPA license. I passed my last CPA exam over a year ago. I was a bit slack and didn't actually get my application in until last November. There's this place in Nashville - NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) - and they handle processing the applications for Colorado.

Two months after I send my application in, I get a call from this lady there who says there is something wrong with my application and I needed to call her back. I had not been in the office, so it was a couple of days, but I did get back to her - but by then she had totally forgotten what was wrong with my application and said she would call me back and let me know. (Which she never did.)

So then this other, more helpful girl called me and filled me in. I hadn't properly transferred my scores from North Carolina. (Never mind that I had tried numerous times to find out exactly what I needed to do in order to transfer my scores - with no luck.) So I finally got the transfer thing from North Carolina and sent it to Nashville and so far I've heard nothing back from them.

Hopefully everything gets resolved and I don't have to reapply and pay another exorbitant fee for them to diddle around with my stuff for three months. Does it work like this for everyone else? Why do I have such a terrible time with applications?

2 comments:

Juankers said...

That sounds like my school's financial aid office. I turned my paperwork in to them in January and I just got a letter saying that something was wrong with it. Way to be on the ball guys. I also originally posted this under the wrong blog in case you were wondering what the mysterious "this post has been deleted by the author" was all about on the other one.

Zethro said...

I was wondering. Thanks.