Monday, April 6, 2009

Opening Day

Today is opening day in baseball. I haven't cared about opening day for many, many years - and haven't cared that much about any of the other days, either.

(I've got Rockies-Dbacks on the office radio right now - the Rockies just gave up a home run to the first batter of the season. Another great season of baseball in the Mile High City on the way!)

The reason I haven't cared? Overemphasis on the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Mets. I hate all those teams - yet they always do well because the economic cards are stacked in their favor. I miss the days when you had the KC Royals winning a World Series, and then the Minnesota Twins winning two World Series in five years, and the Oakland A's and Cincinnati Reds also claiming late 80's/early 90's championships. Maybe we are headed back in the right direction with last year's Philadelphia/Tampa Bay World Series.

But my pledge for this summer is to try and care a little bit.

Not about the Rockies, though. I'll probably follow them some because it is unavoidable living in Denver. But I've never been passionate about the Rockies.

I am also going to try and follow my favorite team when I was a youth - the Cincinnati Reds. That is something I haven't been doing, I guess because like the Rockies, for the most part the Reds have not been competitive in years.

More on this train of thought the next time I get a chance to write.

1 comment:

Juankers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.