Friday, September 17, 2010

Survivor Twist I

I'm sort of a big Survivor fan. What I mean is that I'm sure there are bigger fans. I didn't jump into Survivor until season 2. I took off seasons 5 and 7, and then the first Survivor All-Stars lured me back for season 8. I took off season 14, but then jumped back in for 15 and 16. After season 16, I decided I was quitting Survivor. That lasted three seasons, but when I heard that season 20 was going to be another All-Stars edition called "Heroes vs. Villans", I could not resist.

My point is that CBS can lose me as a viewer at any point - they have to keep me intrigued. And so far I'm on board for season 21, maybe because they are tempting me with something I've wanted for awhile - the first nationally recognized celebrity to appear on Survivor - former college and NFL head coach Jimmy Johnson.

A full-blown Celebrity Survivor is one of the things I most want to see on television. I'm not sure why they haven't gone there before. It could be that Survivor pretty much has created its own line of celebrities - Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Richard Hatch, Boston Rob & Amber, and so on. It could also be that Jeff Probst is the real star of the show and his ego wouldn't be able to handle anyone outshining his presence.

We'd need a few athletes. I would love to see Barry Bonds play Survivor. The combination of his steroid-tainted past and his sourpuss attitude would be ratings gold. Since Allen Iverson is having trouble finding work in the NBA, he would definitely be available.






"No practice on the island? I'm so in!"







We'd need some blasts from the past, such as Bo Jackson. After winning his first immunity challenges, he could yell, "Bo knows Survivor!"

Also, I'd like to see Martina Navratilova and Mary Lou Retton. Can you imagine those two out in the jungle with A.I., trying to work out the details of an alliance? American Idol be danged, Survivor would be back at the top of the ratings.

To top off the athlete sector, I'd add a former Olympian, such as Summer Sanders or Nancy Kerrigan.

I'd add Rachael Ray, to see what kind of dishes she can whip up on the island. And we would need either MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice, take your pick. I don't think you could or should do it without Paris Hilton.

Dr. Phil. Definitely. I'm not watching it if he's not on. Also, Bob Vila seems like an obvious choice. Would they get rid of him as soon as the shelter was built?







"Oh, sure, I'll build a shelter. But I'm building an alliance first."

Let's throw in former Miss California Carrie Prejean. And since he doesn't seem busy, do you think we could get Billy Joel? If he's not busy on some other reality show, David Hasselhoff seems game for whatever comes up.

And I don't know if she would do it, but I think we also would need former First Lady Laura Bush.






"You know you've been waiting to see me rock a bikini on a desert island."



The Rod Blagojevich appearance on Celebrity Apprentice worked so well, I'd like to see if Survivor could get a scandalized politican of their own, such as John Edwards or Eliot Spitzer.

The only problem would be coming up with an incentive. Some of these celebs could probably use a $1 million prize, others probably are rich enough. Would they play for charity? Then the problem is if you could come up with enough celebrities who were philantrophic and entertaining at the same time.

Anyways, it's fun to think about. Who would you add?

No comments: