Friday, September 24, 2010

My Top 10 Songs of the Nineties #10

So I recently offered my critique of VH1's Top 100 Songs of the Nineties. And it wouldn't really be fair to criticize unless I could come up with a list of my own, right?

I won't be listing of my top 100, but I will do my top 10. And they may not necessarily be what I think were the ten best songs of the nineties. These will be the songs, which sort of defined the nineties for me personally. If any of them were erased from existence, the Nineties would not be quite the same for me.

First up - Whitney Houston's performance of our National Anthem prior to Super Bowl 25 in Tampa, Florida in January 1991 at the height of Gulf War tensions. I just watched it twice, and it still holds up. It's impossible to watch or listen without experiencing a little emotion. I think it remains as the standard by which all other performances of The Star-Spangled Banner are judged. Absolutely a perfect 10.

And it's not cheaters to put this as #10 on my list - if I remember right, this was actually released as a single, although I have no idea if it landed anywhere on the Billboard charts.

Also, Whitney Houston was recently ranked by VH1 at number 60 on the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. My reaction was this: There's no way. She has to be in the top 25.

PS I'm apparently too lame to be able to embed stuff in my blog so you can actually watch it, but here's the link for now.

No comments: