Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ranking AGT Semifinal Show #1

The first semifinal show was on last night. And I can't help myself. I have to rank them.

12. Kevin Colis - As Helen Hunt once said, buh-bye.

11. Sandau Trio Russian Bar - It saddens me to say it, because I had them ranked #2 overall, but they're done. When asked by the judges why they went for the upside-down piano act, they stated that they didn't have any more that they could do on Russian Bar. But if that was their second-best talent? Yikes.

10. Matt Wilhelm - The judges really built this guy up a couple of weeks ago, only to tear him back down last night. The only people more intolerant of a mistake are Olympic gymnastic TV commentators. As for me, he is who I thought he was. He's good, but not quite good enough.

9. Beth Ann Robinson - I guess my problem on young Miss Robinson is that I don't have a good frame of reference for what she does. I haven't watched enough dancing to know what's good and what's bad.

8. Team iLuminate - We're moving into Li'l Sebastian territory here. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I like other acts more.

7. Daniel Joseph Baker - He gives flawless performances every week, so there's no question about his talent. But I wouldn't ever be disappointed if I missed his act or if he was eliminated, so there's something missing.

6. Zuma Zuma - A lot of what they do seems kind of repetitive. Like Matt Wilhelm, it's kind of unclear how they would be able to come up with enough material for a full show.

5. Lys Agnes - I wonder if she ever feels weird that the judges are always praising how beautiful she is. Personally, I'm kind of running into the frame of reference problem a little bit with her singing.

4. Melissa Villasenor - My concern is that she probably isn't going to have enough ammo to beat the big guns. What she has going for her is that she is very likeable. You can't help but smile when she's on stage.

3. West Springfield Dance Team - So, if you haven't been watching, they first appeared on the YouTube show, but were not one of the four acts selected for the semifinals. But Sharon selected them for the Wildcard show, and they did make it through on that round. They're growing on me, and I think they are a serious contender.

2. Poplyfe - Performed "Come Together" last night and pulled it off quite well. I had them ranked in the middle of the pack because I wasn't sure how I felt about them, but I think they are clearly one of the top 10 at this point.

1. Miami All-Stars - I had them ranked WAY too low - probably because it has been so long since I've seen them perform (I think they were the first act of the Top 48 to perform - which was six weeks ago). These fools can dance! I think they were probably the best act from last night.

So that's how I would rank them. But here are the five who I predict will go through tonight:

Miami All-Stars
Poplyfe
Team iLuminate
Daniel Joseph Baker
Lys Agnes

No comments: