Friday, October 14, 2011

Zethro's Fall TV Preview Part I

Ah, fall is here. Kids are back in school, leaves are turning, and new shows to watch on the tube. The anticipation is great - until you realize that most of the new shows suck and aren't worth watching. You might be thinking, wow, this guy watches too much TV, and maybe that's true, but when you've got a baby who needs a lot of holding, what else are you going to do? Build an addition on the garage?

Here's my take on the Fall TV Season thus far:

The Amazing Race (Sundays, CBS): This used to be one of our main shows to watch, but then we stopped for a few years. E-liz has been wanting to start watching again the past couple of seasons, but we haven't, maybe because of the weird Sunday time slot, and maybe because I technically didn't want to. It's an okay show, but a little boring at times (here's one team riding in a cab, and here's another team riding in a cab, and here's yet another team riding in a cab) and sometimes seems a little rigged (they always make like there is a big crisis with one of the teams not being able to get a flight, but somehow they always all end up on the same plane). Plus, the host, Phil, kind of bugs me sometimes. By the way, we would be terrible if we ever went on this show.

Pan Am (Sundays, ABC): Speaking of planes and flights, E-liz looked at me with shock when I told her I had DVR'd the pilot episode of Pan Am, as if I had DVR'd professional wrestling or CSPAN. But now she professes to like the show, which is based around a group of stewardesses who see the world as employees of Pan Am Airlines. Of course, I'm all about nostalgia and enjoy the look in at a different era. So far, it's pretty tame content-wise, compared to say, Mad Men. It will be interesting to see how long they can keep it interesting - there's some serious potential to run out of plots and storylines pretty quick, and the sixties nostalgia won't keep it afloat forever.

NFL Football (Sundays & Mondays, CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN): I wish I had more time to sit around and watch pro football, because I really do enjoy it. However, the way life is right now, there just isn't time. I always DVR the Broncos game, and sometimes it takes me two or three days to watch it, if I get through it at all. And that includes skipping through commercials and a lot of dead time between plays. Sigh. No big deal, since it appears the Broncos are on their way to another 4-12 season. At least Tim T. will keep us all interested.

The Playboy Club (was Mondays, NBC): I never watched it, although I did see roughly 2,572 promos while watching America's Got Talent last summer. My guess was that it was going to end up being canceled by Thanksgiving. I was wrong. It was canceled by Halloween, lasting just three episodes before NBC pulled the plug.

2 Broke Girls (Mondays, CBS): Technically, I only watched about two and a half minutes of this one night. It didn't look that compelling, although it seems to be getting good reviews.

So I had to include a couple of shows I don't watch so it actually seems like a Fall TV Preview, and not just a listing of what I watch.

Check back for Part II.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Two Broke Girls is actually pretty funny. I only watched it because it comes on after How I Met Your Mother, and I actually like it.