Thursday, October 20, 2011

Zethro's Fall TV Preview Part III

Modern Family (Wednesdays, ABC): I'm a little worried about ModFam this season. The well is starting to run dry on a few of their standard jokes - Claire is uptight, Phil is a little boy trapped in an adult body, Manny is an adult trapped in a kid body, Gloria is loud and hard to understand, etc. - we get all that. Even Cam, the standout character from the first season, is starting to feel a little stale. It will be interesting to see if they do anything to freshen it up. I don't think talking Lily is the answer, however.

Community (Thursdays, NBC): I'm selling all my stock in this show. I didn't really like it to begin with, but sort of got sucked in after a couple of outstanding fisrt season episodes (the ones about chicken fingers and paintball), but now I'm back to square one. It's just not worth the investment when so many of the episodes are blah. Besides, season three of a show about community college? Shouldn't they all be done by now?

The Big Bang Theory (Thursdays, NBC): I keep wanting to sell my stock in this show, but keep getting lured back in by Shelden, for whom the joke well never seems to run dry. Jim Parsons is worth the Emmy and whatever money they pay him. And what does a show about nerds do to keep the laughs coming? Introduce more nerds. I enjoy any episode with Mayim Bialik (yes, that Mayim Bialik) as Amy Farrah Fowler, the female equivalent of Shelden.

The Office (Thursday, NBC): It doesn't completely make sense that Andy is the new regional manager. Michael at least made some sense, because although he could be a terrible boss, he was a great salesman. And everything that has been presented over the past couple of seasons has portrayed Andy as having one of the worst sales records in the office. But there is a lot that doesn't make sense with this show over the past four seasons - don't get me started, I could do an entire post on just this show and maybe I will sometime. But it's okay - it's a comedy. It's just supposed to make you laugh, not make you think, right?

I think I only have a couple more shows to do, so stay tuned for Part IV.

No comments: