Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October!

Today begins the best month of the year. I might be a little biased because my birthday is this month. But I wonder if October would still be my favorite month if my birthday was in December or May. Because there are many other things to love about this month.

For one, the weather is perfect. A little crispness in the air, but it's still nice enough for outdoors activities. You don't really have to run fans or a/c to keep it cool in your car or your house, but it's not really time to turn on the heater yet, so it keeps utility bills down for a bit.

It's a pretty decent sports month. Football season is in full swing, and it's still early enough that your team still has hope! Baseball, which loses relevance for a lot of people about mid-summer, means something again as the drama of the playoffs returns. The World Series is at the end of the month - one of the major sporting events of the entire year.

Halloween falls at the end of the month - it's not really a necessary "holiday" - but isn't it great to have a day that's not about commemorating or memorializing? I like Halloween, but I'm just not very good at Halloween, if that makes any sense. . . perhaps I will expound on that thought for a future post.

For me, the fall represents a time of renewal more than the new year or the spring. I work in public accounting, and I've taken to referring to October 16th as Accountant's New Year. October 15th is generally the extended due date for Form 1040, so by that date we will have completed all of our 2012 returns. (At least for those clients who are choosing to stay on the right side of the law.) I can get every file out of my office, throw most of the extra paper away, and start working on 2013. It's so great!

So it's my goal to do a blog post every day this month - I think about writing something for the blog frequently and sometimes even start a post, but struggle to get the words down, and eventually give up and never finish. So I'm going to attempt to get back in the groove, because there is a lot going on that I want to share. . . although if I ever had any readers they've probably forgotten all about me.

No comments: