Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pinewood Derby Prep

I'm pretty indifferent about the Pinewood Derby. I didn't care that much when I was a Cub Scout, and I don't care much more now that my son is in Cub Scouts. I mean, I don't hate it, but I'm not one of those dads out in the garage plotting how to build the best car. Or one of the dads writing a book or creating a website on how to best win the Pinewood Derby. My boy probably deserves better, but that's just me - I can't help it. I'm an accountant, not an engineer. Someday when he needs help balancing his checkbook, though. . .

Anyways, he got his car at the last pack meeting in November and has asked a couple of times since then, "When are we going to build the Pinewood Derby car, dad?"

"Uhhh. . ."

So I told him probably Christmas break. And so, today, very nearly the end of Christmas break, we finally pulled it out and started the process. I don't really have any woodworking equipment to speak of, so that makes it a little tougher. Not that I'm a woodworker by any means. We made the cuts using a jigsaw and I demonstrated some unsafe woodworking procedures to my son. The car came out a little chawed up, but that's what sandpaper is for, right? Actually, some of the chaws might be a little much for sandpaper to correct.

I will say this - so far, the car looks as if he did all of the work himself.

No comments: