Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Things That Annoy

I heard that the Senate voted to extend the digital TV conversion until June and that the House is expected to also approve it.

I think that doing so is totally stupid. They've only been talking about this, for what, a year? Anyone who seriously cares about watching TV after February 17 has already taken care of the problem. But I guess we need to give everyone else more time NOT to do something about it. It's sort of like tax day, April 15. Everyone gets automatic six-month extensions, and so most people don't worry about filing until at least five months later. Or in some cases, until five months and 27 days later.

I say stick with the drop-dead February date. When their TV goes black, then they'll go out and buy the converter box for sure. I bought mine, although I haven't hooked it up yet. Who are all these people anyway? I thought we were one of only 772 remaining U.S. households without cable or satellite.

Also, perhaps you have heard the recent story of a high school girls team in Dallas that ran up the score on their opponent, winning 100-0. They were shooting threes and applying full-court pressure well into the second half of the game. So then the principal of the winning team wanted to forfeit afterwards because it wasn't winning honorably or something, and I think they fired the coach.

I saw it in the newspaper and then heard about it on all three talk radio stations that I listen to. I'm not surprised that it caught on, because it appeals to exactly what Americans love to do: point out when someone has done something bad, because they live such a perfect life.

I was sick of hearing about it within the first hour, and they are still talking about it two weeks later. My whole thing is this: Who cares? It's a small private high school in another state. I doubt that the running up of the score really affects anyone other than the players and the coaches who were actually in the game. So shutup about it already! No one cares what you think about proper sportsmanship! At least I don't.

I would have prefered that they not forfeit the game and keep their 100-point victory. Those things have a way of working out in the end. For instance, last year the New England Patriots felt it was necessary to run up the score on everybody and then failed to win the Super Bowl despite their 18-0 record.

No comments: