Saturday, January 31, 2009

You've GOT to be kidding me


Shannon Sharpe was not selected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligiblity. I don't even know if it is worthwhile to rant and rave about it.

In one way, I can kind of understand where the voters are coming from. I mean, how can you have a Hall of Fame without Ralph Wilson Jr., the owner of the Buffalo Bills? He's contributed so much owning a franchise that has sucked for the past 40 years except for the four-year stretch when the Bills lost four Super Bowls in a row. Actually, he's probably contributed more than that I just have no clue what.

Until yesterday, I had never really contemplated the idea that Shannon Sharpe would not be voted in this year. I mean, eight Pro Bowls, four times first-team All-Pro, three Super Bowl rings, and he retired as the all-time leader in receptions and yardage for a tight end. Pretty good career.

But last night I was reading the Denver Post and began to feel a little doubt. Bruce Smith and Rod Woodson were sure to be voted in. Randall McDaniel and Cris Carter also seemed likely selections, which supposedly left the fifth and final spot up for grabs between Derrick Thomas and Sharpe. Whaaaat?

So, sure enough, Thomas beat out Sharpe. Cris Carter, the no. 2 all-time in receptions, was also snubbed, I guess in favor of Ralph Wilson Jr.

I've given up trying to understand the process. The voters are obviously all biased idiots. The supposed reason none of the stars from the Broncos' Orange Crush defense of the 1970's were not selected to the Hall of Fame was because they won no Super Bowls. The Steelers of the seventies, on the other hand, won four Super Bowls, so basically their whole team gets in.

And so now you have Shannon Sharpe and his three Super Bowl rings, and he can't get in.

Bruce Smith - played in four Super Bowls, won zero.
Ralph Wilson Jr. - his team played in four Super Bowls, won zero.
Rod Woodson - played in two Super Bowls, won one.
Randall McDaniel - played in zero Super Bowls
Derrick Thomas - played in zero Super Bowls.
Bob Hayes - played in two Super Bowls, won one.

So Shannon Sharpe has more championships than all of the guys that were selected, and yet that's still not good enough. I guess it's not about winning Super Bowls after all.

I'm sure he'll get in next year. . . maybe.

No comments: